Pigeonbasics.net Pigeon basics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

keeping your yard tidy

administrator
    administrator
    Global moderators
    Global moderators

Male
    Number of posts : 420
    Registration date : 2008-12-24

keeping your yard tidy Empty keeping your yard tidy

Post by administrator Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:36 pm

has anyone a use for this look at this site www.racingbirds.com/hawktrap.htm sunset lofts and www racingbirds.com/1703 htm type { a good hawk trap} and you will get it google it

CATCH THEM ALIVE TRAP

Every pigeon fancier sees hawks as a serious threat to their feathered friends. Many from this loft have become meals for those magnificent birds. Last year alone (2002) 15 young birds were lost before the hawk was caught. In most areas they are protected. Yet for people like myself they are the source, to put it mildly, of pain and suffering. Many of my birds that have earned a special place in this heart have been lost to hawks. For one example visit this page. I agree that no creature on earth should be indiscriminately killed for sport. I can not agree that those creatures that target domestic pets should be allowed to. Animal rights groups contend that hawks have unconditional rights. Regrettable they choose to deny chicken farmers, pigeon fanciers, those who keep doves and many small pets the same rights. I believe to the depths of my soul that humankind should live in harmony with Mother Nature. All life is a gift. Yet when one of them leaves the wild to prey on what are really domestic pets they should to be controlled and we have the right to protect our birds. It should start with investigating the legal channels that are are available to do it.

The idea for the trap came from a chat group, and works like this: With a couple of birds in the one side of the trap and visible through the wire mesh, a hungry hawk will do it's best to try to get at them. The 6" hole in the top will allow the hawk access to the opposite section of the trap. The wire mesh between the birds and hawk protect the pigeons. Once in the trap the hawk can not get escape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An all metal version of this trap is being made by another fancier. It still needs the wood at the top with the holes. Hopefully I will receive a picture when finished to up load.

Other designs of traps can be found at this site.
    Please do not forget for a second that the hawks talons and beak are cutting tools. They will try to use them on you if you attempt to remove the hawk from the trap alive and without protection. The SPCA or a bird shelter in your area should know of someone that is experienced in handling them. I do not advocate killing the hawk. It can be transported out of your area far enough so that it will not return. A federal permit is obtainable to trap hawks and should be in your possession prior to trapping.

In Canada the Canadian Wildlife Services can be contacted for information on obtaining the permit.
    In the U.S. each state will have a wildlife department. People from the respective states would contact there state's wildlife department and follow the protocol of that state. On January 22, 2002 the birds were released from the loft for exercise. At the end of the day Goldie was missing.. I can only assume a hawk got her. The hardest thing about this sport for me is loosing birds like her to predators. Her trophy was received on the 25th of January.

CU2001IND1703
    2001 WINNER

On Saturday the 8th of September With coffee in hand I went to the computer to check the weather for the day. Not good news. 15 to 20 Km/hr winds from the S.W.. 350 birds from our club with 8 of mine were released at 8am 355 Km from my loft. The wind would blow them to the majority of our club members east of me.

Expecting to see arrivals some time after 2PM I started to watch at 1:30 with little hope of having a good one. At 2:03 a pair of white flights appeared above the loft, landed, hesitated for a short time, then through the trap. A couple more birds would arrive a few minutes later.

To my surprise when the calculations were complete this little Vanboxmeer/Mulucci beauty had won the gold band. She flew the distance with the wind on her nose blowing her east of home.This bundle of determination flew for 7 hours and made my season. One of the fasinating things about this sport is that every once in a while a bird like her comes along and does the unexpected.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:18 am