Pigeonbasics.net Pigeon basics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
DOGEON
adamant
6 posters

Sevin dust for lice, how to apply

adamant

Male
    Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2009-04-15

Sevin dust for lice, how to apply Empty Sevin dust for lice, how to apply

Post by adamant Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:54 am

Sevin dust for lice, how to apply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have lice on the birds. how do i applicate the seven on the birds?
    DOGEON
    DOGEON
    old bird
    old bird

Female
    Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Sevin dust for lice, how to apply Empty Re: Sevin dust for lice, how to apply

Post by DOGEON Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:01 am

sorry new to the sport and ive only used one spot for this works a treat
    Amar
    Amar
    webmaster
    webmaster

Male
    Number of posts : 965
    Registration date : 2008-12-24

Post by Amar Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:04 am

use spot on it works great mate £2 delivered from eBay.
    HarryH
    HarryH
    old bird
    old bird

Male
    Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2009-08-20

Post by HarryH Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:35 pm

adamant wrote:Sevin dust for lice, how to apply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have lice on the birds. how do i applicate the seven on the birds?
    what is sevin dust????
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Number of posts : 1952

Post by maid08 Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:03 pm

if you use horse wormer you dont get lice ticks worms or anyother problems like that
    adamant

Male
    Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2009-04-15

Post by adamant Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 am

Amar wrote:use spot on it works great mate £2 delivered from eBay.

amar..i am in the US. this is what i found.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m38.l1313&_nkw=spot+insecticide&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    Amar
    Amar
    webmaster
    webmaster

Male

Post by Amar Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:58 pm

heres the 1 i bought cant seem to find any mre on there but there is liquid wormer on ebay for 10 pounds if u wont i can buy u sum and send it to you u,ll save paying high postage to the ebay seller

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250478181588&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Amar
    Amar
    webmaster
    webmaster

Male

Post by Amar Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:59 pm

the sevin powder has to be rubbed in to the birds feathers
    christopher09
    old bird
    old bird

Male
    Number of posts : 109
    Registration date : 2009-01-21

Post by christopher09 Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Amar wrote:the sevin powder has to be rubbed in to the birds feathers

Sevin powder was used originally as a sheep drench some years ago ,the powder should be placed on perches nest bowls boxes etc not on birds directly .gloves and mask should be used when using as its some potent stuff .
    Amar
    Amar
    webmaster
    webmaster

Male

Post by Amar Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:20 pm

christopher09 wrote:

Sevin powder was used originally as a sheep drench some years ago ,the powder should be placed on perches nest bowls boxes etc not on birds directly .gloves and mask should be used when using as its some potent stuff .

i got the info from google
    HarryH
    HarryH
    old bird
    old bird

Male
    Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2009-08-20

Post by HarryH Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Amar wrote:
    christopher09 wrote:

i got the info from google
    i beleive its very carsonagenic
    Amar
    Amar
    webmaster
    webmaster

Male

Post by Amar Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Mites and Other Blood Suckers

Sevin Dust:

I agree with using Sevin dust. Mine comes in a brand name of POULTRY DUST from the feed store - just read the label. I had a pair of Mourning Dove chicks covered with lice about 10 years ago. They were about a week old. I poured and rubbed the dust all over their feathers. I read in some dove/pigeon book that these parasites live & hide in the nesting material. For 10 years now whenever I change nesting material, I put 2 shakes of the Sevin on the bottom of the nest container followed by a good handful of wood shavings followed by a nice covering of cut hay, straw or soft White Pine needles. Since that time I have not had anymore parasites in any nest or on any dove. I think that 10 years on this prevention program proves its worth. BTW, I am still using the same can (quart-size) of Poultry Dust that I started with 10 years ago although it is near empty now. [Ron]

You can dust the birds with "poultry dust" -- it is 5% Sevin dust. Make sure you don't let the birds inhale it. You can also dust them in Diatomaecous Earth, both products available from a feed/supply store. You may also find them at most garden centers. You may find the Sevin dust under the label "pet dust" or "Pet powder."Go out and get the dust and then put it in your hand and rub it on the birds -- under their wings especially. Keep it away from their heads. I have used both the DE and the Sevin dust on Sevin dust for lice, how to apply 88752 parrots when I had a bout with the little red mites. No harm done -- just keep it away from their eyes & nose. You might want to rub a little of the dust on the nest. [Helen]

Ivomectin:

On an earlier posting I couldn't remember the name of the drug IVOMECTIN. This is an expensive medicine but only a tiny amount is required. It is used in mammals as well as birds. It kills any blood sucker. It is easily absorbed through the skin and therefore easy to administer. I had a infestation of the Northern Fowl Mite among the birds I acquired immediately back from Brazil. The mites were biting ME!! One drop on the brood patch (flight muscle area on the ventral aspect of the bird)of finches, maybe 2 on canaries or diamond doves, and three on ringnecks easily killed all the mites. [Other skin area could be chosen.] DO NOT OVERDOSE!!! Too much can kill the bird. One treatment is enough, but I repeated a week later to get any new hatchlings of the mite from the nest areas. No trouble since. I'll try to find the % of the drug, but I think all the commercial types are the same. [...wjm]

Miscellaneous Bugs and Treatments:

For Parasites, I use a bath salt for pigeons that says it eliminates "the vermin from the plumage" and it seems to work. [Russ]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:02 pm