Pigeonbasics.net Pigeon basics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Blown crop

Blown crop Empty Blown crop

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:02 pm

This is blown crop and can be treated by releasing the air by using a hypodermic needle the kind that fit on the end of syringes, clean the needle with surgical spirits
    Peirce the skin and gently let the air out gently, birds can take weeks to recover from the rupture that caused it, keep the bird as calm as you can, best to isolate it in a darkened area

Blown crop 314ca009 Blown crop 6d4f319b

Blown crop Empty Re: Blown crop

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:20 am

what causes it
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Number of posts : 1952
    Registration date : 2008-12-24

Post by maid08 Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:27 am

6this usualy happens in cocks were there is a fault in the cleft in cocks they can blowthemself up to look bigger the problem then shows itself when the flap does not open correctly hence air cannot escape so you must punture the air sack to relise it as the bird gets older this problem seems to cure itself bit like us with wind sometimes we cant exspel it leading to colic

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:23 pm

christ i think i have that Blown crop 495735 will it work on a 16 stone man

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:11 pm

pigeon mad wrote:christ i think i have that Blown crop 495735 will it work on a 16 stone man

We could always just stick a few pins in you and try it :nurse: :doctor:
    VALIANT
    VALIANT
    Global moderators
    Global moderators

Male
    Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2008-12-29

Post by VALIANT Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:08 pm

To treat these birds, it is important to remove the air that has accumulated under the skin. If the air pressure continues to build up, this pressure can relay back onto the lungs and the birds can have trouble breathing and sometimes smother. To remove the air, a hypodermic needle and syringe are used. The tip of the needle is put just through the skin at the point where the skin is tightest with the air underneath it. While sucking with the syringe, air is drawn out through the needle. This usually needs to be done morning and night. This not only makes the bird more comfortable but allows the airsac to collapse back into position so that the tear comes into apposition and is then given a chance to heal. Small tears may heal in 1-3 days. More severe tears may take up to 3 weeks. I have only ever had one or two birds that never healed. In addition to removing the air morning and night , it is important that the bird is confined. It must not do any exercise that would make it short of breath or pant as this tends to reopen the healing tear in the airsac. I usually use an 18-gauge needle and a 20-ml syringe. These can be obtained from a pharmacy or a veterinarian. Where an associtated respiratory infection is suspected, antibiotics are given, usually Vibravet 50 mg, half tablet once daily for 5 days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:01 am