Pigeonbasics.net Pigeon basics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Joe Murphy Colunm

The Joe Murphy Colunm Empty 20th of Feb

Post by Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:34 pm

The Joe Murphy Column

Received a short note from Lou McGee on the Barcelona Challenge loft, she wrote, ‘Just thought I would write a brief one to keep you up to date with what is going on in the garden, we are pleased to say that the shoot season is drawing to a close with the shoot just happening at the weekends so since Tuesday we have been having the birds out again for exercise. John goes up the loft at 08.30 and cleans and refills the drinkers then by the time he has done this it is light enough to start letting the birds out at 9 am 35 yearling cocks go out till 10 then from 10 till 11 the next lot of 35 yearling cocks go out then from 11 till 12 a section of yearling hens go out then from 12 till 1 another section of yearling hens go out then from 1 till 2 the last section of yearling hens go out then from 2 till 3 the first section of 2 year olds go out who are paired up now ready for next young bird auction John paired these up on Tuesday. Then from 3 till 4 the other section of paired 2 year olds, then from 4 till 5 our race team go out who are also paired as we will be underlaying the eggs from the Barcelona birds under these as we do not want them to rear yet. Whilst these birds are out John then goes through section by section cleaning the aviaries ready for the next day, so as you can see now that the season is upon us again we don’t see much of him ,unless he pops down for a coffee, but he would not have it any other way, he really is in my mind the ultimate pigeon fancier wanting everything and doing everything to perfection, nothing stops his routine even now whilst he has a bad back he wont sit down he is up the garden doing this routine looking at the time so the birds are out the same time and in at the same time every day. As soon as I get our race programme I will forward it on to you all, exciting times are a coming!! Speak to you soon as always take care, Lou McGee’
    This is what appeals to me first and foremost as a pigeon fancier; that John McGee is dedicated to the pigeons and anyone who is prepared to put in this amount of work into the pigeons deserves to win. All one can ask is when you send birds to these one loft races is that the loft manager is in the same frame of mind as yourself, and John McGee is the same as me; he wants is to compete against the best and to do so he has to work at it, it is the same with flying in your own club or the national. You will never win if you do not work at your pigeons or anything for that matter. Believe me there is nothing I would love more than for John to time in one of my birds FIRST (to the loft) from the Barcelona race. It will not happen this year as my candidates are only yearlings but I do believe if they survive John’s management then they will give a good account of themselves in 2010. I’m quite excited at the prospect of the 2009 Barcelona race when John will be competing for the first time, he has a great team of pigeon who have been well looked after and are schooled ready for the big one. To all the fanciers who have birds in this years race I honestly wish you well and wouldn’t it be wonderful if someone from Britain won the Barcelona International flying to John McGee’s loft in France; this would be the ultimate ‘Icing on the Cake’ I have just received this startling news from Lou who wrote ‘I start this article with a very heavy heart as on Saturday 7th February we had a phone call from our partner John Tyerman, he has not been feeling too clever in past months and he visited the doctors for some tests. The results are John has been diagnosed with cancer, from what we gather it is quite a rare form, he currently is waiting for further tests to get a clearer picture of what is going on, so to John and Linda and all the family we are thinking of you and really hope you can beat this, I know that you'll fight it all the way’. What can I say other than you are in our thoughts and prayers at this time John and Linda.

Bereavement Sale

A request from George Briggs to remember fanciers that the entire clearance sale of the late Eddie Wighton from Dundee will take place this Sunday 22nd February in Dundee Clubroom's Smith Street Dundee at 2.pm. There are approx 30 old birds on offer with the usual baskets and clocks also up for sale. There is not much information on the birds however George hopes to have more details on the pens. Eddie was 45th open Ypres with the SNFC in 2008; anyone looking for a spare pair to fill a nest box then this could be the sale to attend.

Young Bird Exchange

I have received quite a few entries for this year Sporting Challenge young bird exchange with the response in the first week very encouraging; as it is new fanciers who have taken up the challenge. Many of last years participants have also joined and I would think from the response I have received so far we will have more than the 28 fanciers who joined in 2008. If you are interested in swapping a youngster with some of the top fanciers in Scotland then this is your change; you never know you may even be drawn against a past SNFC winner. Last year some fanciers swapped a pair of youngsters in the event that if one was lost they had the other to compete for the trophy on offer. I have no problem with this so long as I receive the nominated ring number by the last old bird race of the season which is Falaise. The earlier the draw is made then the better each fancier has of swapping birds which will be well established and settled into their new surroundings. I would think a final date of 1st April should be suitable to most fanciers and I will make the draw on this date and then contact everyone who has participated within the following week to tell them who they are drawn against. One thing for certain is that if you are not in the young bird exchange then you have no chance of winning one of the beautiful trophies for the Breeder or the Racer. There is also a trophy for you to keep as a memento of winning this young bird exchange competition.

Promoting the Sport

Received this email from Marlene McKay wife of Ian who is the president of the Aberdeen federation; Marlene wrote ‘Ian is still on his way home from the SNFC meeting (now at 00.20am Friday) and I thought you might like to know that Ian was promoting the sport today. It is 200 years since Charles Darwin was born and there was an event at the Zoology building to celebrate the occasion; as we know Charles bred pigeons while working on his theory of evolution’. Ian was asked to give a talk on the sport of racing pigeons to 3 schools (individually) The children were amazed at the beauty of the birds and how soft they felt they were all interested including the teachers. Photographs were taken and will appear in the local Press and Journal this Friday. Hopefully it will go some way to help promote the sport to the general public yours Marlene’. My thanks to Marlene and I would just like to add a comment; Ian and Willie Davidson have travelled down to Edinburgh area today for this meeting. It has snowed on the east side of Scotland today with about 6 inches of snow falling throughout the day. Many people at my work could not come into work today because of the snow as it was too dangerous to drive in it. Yet here we have 2 fanciers travelled all the way from Aberdeen to Edinburgh to attend a committee meeting, that is dedication. Let’s be honest how many of you reading this article would have done it, not many!! The pigeon sport should be proud of people like this who take on these jobs and try their best to help their fellow fanciers. So the next time something goes wrong at a race marking or clock station just remember today when you where in your bed fast asleep these men were on their way home from a meeting to make sure YOU ENJOY your pigeon sport.

Touching Poem

Her hair was up in a pony tail, her favourite dress tied with a bow. Today was Daddy's Day at school, and she couldn't wait to go. But her mummy tried to tell her, that she probably should stay home. Why the kids might not understand, if she went to school alone. But she was not afraid; she knew just what to say. What to tell her classmates of why he wasn't there today. But still her mother worried, for her to face this day alone. And that was why once again, she tried to keep her daughter home. But the little girl went to school eager to tell them all. About a dad she never sees a dad who never calls.
    There were daddies along the back wall, for everyone to meet. Children squirming impatiently, anxious in their seats One by one the teacher called a student from the class.
    To introduce their daddy, as seconds slowly passed At last the teacher called her name,
    every child turned to stare. Each of them was searching, a man who wasn't there.
    'Where's her daddy at?' She heard a boy call out. 'She probably doesn't have one,'
    another student dared to shout. And from somewhere near the back, she heard a daddy say, 'Looks like another deadbeat dad, too busy to waste his day.'
    The words did not offend her, as she smiled up at her Mum and looked back at her teacher, who told her to go on. And with hands behind her back, slowly she began to speak. And out from the mouth of a child, came words incredibly unique.
    'My Daddy couldn't be here, because he lives so far away. But I know he wishes he could be, since this is such a special day. And though you cannot meet him, I wanted you to know all about my daddy, and how much he loves me so. He loved to tell me stories
    he taught me to ride my bike. He surprised me with pink roses, and taught me to fly a kite. We used to share fudge sundaes, and ice cream in a cone. And though you cannot see him I'm not standing here alone. 'Cause my daddy's always with me, even though we are apart I know because he told me, he'll forever be in my heart'
    With that, her little hand reached up, and lay across her chest feeling her own heartbeat,
    beneath her favourite dress. And from somewhere in the crowd of dads, her mother stood in tears. Proudly watching her daughter, who was wise beyond her years, for she stood up for the love of a man not in her life? Doing what was best for her, doing what was right.
    And when she dropped her hand back down, staring straight into the crowd.
    She finished with a voice so soft, but its message clear and loud. 'I love my daddy very much, he's my shining star. And if he could, he'd be here, but heaven's just too far.
    You see he is a soldier and died just this past year when a roadside bomb hit his convoy
    and taught brave men to fear. But sometimes when I close my eyes, it's like he never went away.' And then she closed her eyes, and saw him there that day. And to her mother’s amazement, she witnessed with surprise. A room full of daddies and children,
    all starting to close their eyes. Who knows what they saw before them, who knows what they felt inside. Perhaps for merely a second, they saw him at her side. 'I know you're with me Daddy,' to the silence she called out. And what happened next made believers,
    of those once filled with doubt. Not one in that room could explain it, for each of their eyes had been closed. But there on the desk beside her, was a fragrant long-stemmed pink rose. And a child was blessed, if only for a moment, by the love of her shining star.
    And given the gift of believing that heaven is never too far

This week’s Joke

Look Mum I'm Scottish...
    A young English boy finds a kilt and wears it for a laugh. He goes to his mum and says "Look mum I'm Scottish". She freaks and slaps him across the head. "I can't believe you just said that, go and tell your gran what you just said"
    The boy goes to his gran and says "Look gran I'm Scottish!" She freaks and slaps him across the head. "I can't believe you just said that, go tell your dad what you just said"
    The boy goes to his dad and says "Look dad - I'm Scottish. His dad goes ballistic - takes off his belt and gives him a good thrashing. Then he says to him "I can't believe you just said that, now how do you feel"?
    The boy says - "I've only been Scottish for 5 minutes and I hate you English so and so’s already".

Please continue to keep the news flowing to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 after 7pm week days or my NEW email address is joejmurphy@blueyonder.co.uk Or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.pigeonglobe.co.uk or www.Pigeonportal.com http://www.cyberpigeon.co.uk/ and the newest pigeon forum in the United Kingdom www.pigeonbasics.net who wish my weekly contribution for my up to date portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

Compiled and copywriter Joe Murphy

The Joe Murphy Colunm AllanRitchieKarenJamesMikeBinnie

The Joe Murphy Colunm Kevingrove The Joe Murphy Colunm SHUDisplay

The Joe Murphy Colunm Somebirdsondisplay The Joe Murphy Colunm ViewinsideKelvingrove

The Joe Murphy Colunm Empty 27th of Feb

Post by Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:43 pm

The Joe Murphy Column

There has been a good response to my young bird exchange with 15 fanciers joining in the first week; many of these are new participants and I have also received phone calls and emails from fanciers who took part last year also wishing to join. Last year we had 28 fanciers and I can see us overtake this amount this year, which would be good as some of the fanciers taking part are top quality. When you think you can swap a youngster with one of these quality distance men for £25, and have the chance to win the Exchange Trophy, plus the fact the bird is your for life and who knows it may turn out to be the best pigeon you ever owned. I know last year some fancies swapped a pair of pigeons I have no problems with this. My only stipulation is that I have the ring number of the youngster competing for the prize by the last old bird race from Falaise. If you received 2 young birds and have both left then you must nominate one of these youngsters. The fanciers whom I have spoken to The Joe Murphy Colunm 9549 or by email are very enthusiastic about this venture and I think it will be another success this year. Can I once again remind the fanciers who are taking part in my sporting challenge in 2009 I require the information and photograph of your entry. I’m waiting on 7 fanciers to send in their details, I have received the other 12 so far and by the time this is in print I should have their details compiled to this years file. One fancier has withdrawn from the challenge and it is too late now to find a replacement so we will just go with the 19 fanciers invited. This year they have the choice of having a back up pigeon as an entry in the event of their nominated bird not making the final race which as always is the SNFC Gold Cup race. You can appreciate then the amount of work involved as I now have to write about 38 birds; hence the reason for this appeal to have the details in now as it does take up a lot of my spare time compiling and proof reading all the information involved in the sporting challenge articles.

Quiz Night

The Lanarkshire Social Circle are holding a quiz night at the Avonbridge Hotel, Hamilton on the 6th of March 2009; with a 7pm for a 7.30pm start a quality meal and great company assured. The quiz panel will be Dennis Anderson, Chris Little, Stuart Mullen and George Rankin who will also be chairman for the night. I have attended these quiz nights in the past and believe me they are ‘top class’ as can be seen by the quality of fanciers on the panel. If you are interested in attending then book your tickets by the 1st March from Dave Craig on 01236 429386

Narbonne International

I received the following email from Paul O'Leary and wondered if anyone in Scotland would be interested in competing from the Narbonne International which will be flown on 25th July 2009; last year 12,220 pigeons contested this race!
    Paul wrote ‘I have been in touch with Alex Rans at the Cureghem Centre and based on our initial e-mails I now propose to organise an OPEN race in the UK to enable UK fanciers to compete in this International. There is much current debate about the why's and wherefores of the BBC and NFC competing alongside/with the BICC from Barcelona and Tarbes respectively. Issues such as additional joining fees and or the ability to duplicate into other clubs have been raised. Well, here is a Golden opportunity for all UK fanciers to compete in an International without having to join any additional clubs or pay a duplication fee. So, if you want to send to Narbonne there's nothing stopping you but everything to go for! This is an initial 'press-release' and I will issue further information over the next few days and weeks. An Open Race Licence will be applied for shortly. Key questions will of course surround Marking Stations, Marking Date, ETS/rubbers, and Entry Fee. To those asking about marking stations I would immediately ask of you as to whether YOU are prepared to run a marking station and/or then ferry the birds to a central assembly point (exact location TBA) ... please don't wait for others to stick their hands up nor for there to be a marking station on every doorstep! The birds need to be across in Belgium on 22nd July so marking in the UK will have to be on 21st July. As for cost it's reasonable for you to assume that this will be in line with the BICC's standard International entry fee ... I can't see how this cost could be reduced. I would also ask any potential sponsors out there to consider giving whatever support they can to this race. What this race needs now is the support of Fanciers. This is a full International race NOT currently accessible to UK fanciers and yet everywhere you look people are seemingly clamouring for more International competition? If you're up for this race then come out and say so nice and loud and then spread the word far and wide! This could be the International race to unify and mobilise the whole of the UK. Don't let this opportunity pass! Please, if you are interested, e-mail of phone me back with any questions you have, best regards Paul O'Leary 18 The Thicket Widley Waterlooville
    Hampshire PO7 5JL 07817-776720 (9am-9pm); 02392-358417 (6pm-9pm)
    www.pbosolutions.co.uk

North Coast Classic

Received an email from Trevor Steel the manager of the above classic who wrote ‘Hi Joe, it has been all systems go since we got back from Blackpool show; the weather has been very kind to us and the loft is almost complete. This weekend will see the first youngsters safely installed. As a matter of interest Joe I have entered three birds in the Scottish Classic One-loft race. I understand it can be a difficult fly so I will save my sprinters and send the Van Bruane's crossed with my Irish distance blood. These are very hardy and intelligent pigeons that do not seem to panic if it is going to be tough. I have some pictures I will send you but my programme just refuses to 'download' them at the moment. I will send them as soon as I get my brain straightened out as I am sure it has to be my fault, talk soon Trevor’.

Found Pigeon

Received a phone call from Bert McDonald from Dundee who collected a pigeon from a member of the public; this bird is a chequer cock SU 05 DF 1425. Was bred by the late John Walker of the Douglas Club; however when John died someone from the Arbroath area received all John’s pigeons. The unfortunate thing is they were not transferred and are still registered in John’s name. I gave Bert, Bill Dorward phone number to see if he could help him out, and promised I would add this to my column in the event Bill could not help Bert out. If this is your pigeon then give Bert a ring on 01382 581050, my thanks to Bert for his phone call and lets hope the bird is returned to his owner soon.

This week’s photographs

Are 2 of Scotland’s top fanciers who compete from the first race to the last, none other than Andy Miller who supplies me with the information on the Pentland Hills federation, New Lothian and Sighthill club. The other is his best mate Barry Kinnear who flies in partnership with his dad Willie; they are the proud owners of ‘Auld Reekie’ the blue cock who so nearly became a double 1st open SNFC winner as he won Le Farte Bernard and was 2nd open Falaise, so near and yet so far. Auld Reekie won another twice in the SNFC and is now at stock.

This week’s Joke

A husband is at home watching a football match when his wife interrupts, ‘Honey could you fix the light in the hallway, it’s been flickering for weeks now’. He looks at her and says angrily, ‘Fix the light now; does it look like I have ‘Powergen’ written on my forehead, I don’t think so! Fine says the wife who then asks; well could you fix the fridge door, it will not close right; to which he replied ‘Fix the fridge door’ does it look like I have ‘Fridgidaire’ written on my forehead; I don’t think so. Fine she says then you could at least fix the steps to the front door they are about to break' I’m not a carpenter and I don’t want to fix steps, does it look like I have Taylor Woodrow written on my forehead, I don’t think so! I’ve The Joe Murphy Colunm 52775 of this I’m going to the pub!! So he goes to the pub and drinks for couple of hours; then he starts to feel guilty about how he treated his wife and decides to go home. As he walks into the house he notices that the steps are already fixed; as he enters the house he sees the hall light is working; as he goes to get a beer from the fridge he notices the door has been fixed. Honey he asks, how did all this get fixed? She said ‘Well when you left I sat outside and cried; just then a nice young man asked me what was wrong and I told him. He offered to do all the repairs, and all I had to do was either go to bed with him or bake a cake’. He said ‘So what kind of cake did you bake? She replied ‘Hellooooo, do you see Mr Kipling on my forehead; I don’t think so!!!

Please continue to keep the news flowing to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 after 7pm week days or my NEW email address is joejmurphy@blueyonder.co.uk Or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.pigeonglobe.co.uk or www.Pigeonportal.com http://www.cyberpigeon.co.uk/ and the newest pigeon forum in the United Kingdom www.pigeonbasics.net who wish my weekly contribution for my up to date portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

Barry Kinnaer

The Joe Murphy Colunm BarryKinnear

Andy Millar

The Joe Murphy Colunm AndyMiller

The Joe Murphy Colunm Empty Re: The Joe Murphy Colunm

Post by Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:53 pm

The Joe Murphy Column

Received an email from Lou McGee regarding the Barcelona Challenge One Loft race she told me that ‘Since Monday 16th Feb John has been going up the lofts as usual, the birds have been going out section by section for their hour of exercise, then John has been locking the yearling cocks in their boxes and allowing the yearling hens through to jump up to the cocks in their boxes to allow the cocks to get used to the idea of sharing their box as they are a bit selfish and boisterous when it comes to sharing a bit like our Sophie -Louise being made to share her toys they have to get used to the idea!! John then takes the hens away between 5-5-30 pm and turns the bowls back over he went through this Monday to Thursday then on Friday after their fly John turned the bowls over and left the nest boxes open and let the hens join the cocks and we find doing it this way they pair easier as they have got used to the idea of the hens being in there with them. I would just like to thank our official Barcelona loft IT consultant Kevin Rennison of French Fox who came over to us 10 pm Friday night to overhaul the pc as we thought we had a virus but as it turned out luckily a button had been turned on e-mail account that made e-mails look corrupt as it was breaking them down into tiny bits of code before it sent them, so all sorted now thank goodness, bless him he worked on it till 2am so hopefully no more problems. I have forward you a photograph of your 3 yearlings still in the loft Joe and you can see they are looking well and are now getting ready for this years race programme, yours John & Lou’. I’m over the moon at the condition of these 2 cocks and hen and look forward to watching their progress in 2009 my thanks to Lou and John for the update and the photographs.

Surprise Visit
    My next email was from Jimmy Reid in Canada who wrote ‘Hi' Joe pal, what a surprise I got tonight when the famous George Rankin of Blantyre phoned me, you could have knocked me over with a feather, so you could. Thanks so much for giving him my phone number Joe as you knew he was coming over to Canada to visit his daughter. I'm over the moon and will probably not sleep tonight BECAUSE' he's coming here to my wee But'n'Ben tomorrow and I'm gob smacked. You seem to have a penchant for 'making' nice things happen Mr Murphy and believe me you've made my day. My wee wife is going to make a Deer Roast and 'Chicken in the Heather' from my pal Scottie's "Rampant Scotland" recipe pages. I just wish you could be here to share a plate Joe, thanks again and I'll take some photos and see what "The Big Man has in store for me" your pal in the ‘Doos’, Springburn Jimmy Reid’. My thanks to Jimmy and I’m glad George is able to visit him, George and Marcia are over for their daughters Sharon’s 40th birthday and it was a surprise she did not know her parents were coming over. Anyone who knows George will know that he will not miss a chance of visiting a pigeon loft and it has made an ex pat very happy indeed, I look forward to receiving the pictures when they arrive.

Edinburgh News

My next email is from Bobby Dickson who informs me that the Annual Presentation for the Edinburgh & Lothian’s Social Circle will be held on the 3rd April in Woodburn Miners Club. This is a new venue for the Social Circle and Davie Gunn believes it will be more central and accessible venue than the old one, and also the club has agreed to subsidies the band for us which is a big help financially. Anyone wishing tickets for this event can contact David Gunn on 0131 660 6389. Also any member of the SNFC wishing to become a member for the 2009 season please feel free to contact the same number. Now for some important news Bobby can verify that the Committee of the Edinburgh International Charity Show have finally managed to secure the Brunton Halls in Musselburgh to hold the show this year. Contrary to what has been said we have tried each year to get the Brunton Hall but the Council told us the renovations were ongoing. Thankfully this year we have obtained the booking and the Edinburgh International Charity Show will go ahead in its old slot of the Armistice weekend in November as a 2 day show. Anyone who can spare a couple of hours to help set up the pens and take them down again would be welcomed, glad to hear you are back as the SNFC Press Officer Joe you’re the right man for the job, yours Bobby Dickson’. My thanks to Bobby for this news and it is good to have the Edinburgh International Charity Show back this has been missed over the past few years and I would love it to get back to its heydays as one of the main events of the show calendar.

Lochgelly Homing Society

Received news of the above club from Alex Wight to inform me that the club held their annual general meeting on Sunday 15th February, started by introducing 8 new members. The new members are as follows: J. Brockie, I. Davidson, J. Dow, D. Hope, D. Hunter, H. Ireland and G. Morrison. These lads were all members of Glencraig Homing Society that unfortunately has now folded and all the members applied for membership with Lochgelly club, and were all made very welcome. One other new member was myself Alex Wight, who had moved from Kennoway, added to J. Farmer, W. Starke, J. Beveridge, D. Gallagher, R. Ford, R. McCluskey and J. Thomson the club is now in a very strong position and the future looks very good, with plenty of competition. We discussed the forthcoming season and allocated all posts and positions to the members, all other matters were dealt with in a very buoyant mood. This year the club will be using ETS for the very first time, due to the success of receiving over £9000.00 from the lottery grant. There are planned practice sessions, for the members to get used to the system, in time for the new season. Everyone using this new ETS system is looking forward to doing so as it looks less complicated than first thought. The club is very keen to maintain interest throughout the year, and intends to hold sales; shows and a presentation dance, which will give the membership and other fanciers an opportunity to catch up through the close season. I look forward to reporting on all the ‘goings on’ within the club, having volunteered to be the press officer which is a first for the club Joe, believe me the election of this post was accepted with great anticipation by my fellow members. I would like to close this first report by saying ALL the members of Lochgelly Homing Society, wish everyone who reads your column a great 2009 season, and we look forward to meeting up with the fanciers throughout the season especially at the SNFC race marking station yours Alex Wight’ my thanks to Alex for his news and if he does the same professional job he did when Kennoway press officer then the Lochgelly members will not be disappointed, however they must also assist him by supplying details of their winners throughout the season.

Young Bird Exchange

Received the next email from Willie Donachie from Dundee who wrote; ‘Hi Joe, count me in for the young bird exchange this year, don’t know why I missed out last year as it seems good fun, you can have one from myself and my partner George as we fly from Loft 1 and Loft 2. George can do with some decent ‘doo’s’ ha ha...
    I have attached a photo of one of our club members whom you met at Blackpool, Paul 'Louis' Cameron... the nick name is derived from the fact that Paul has ventured into the 'Lightning Fast Louis Cooreman' pigeons and we wish him every success in the future with this family. Paul had his first season with youngsters in 2007, and excelled himself in 2008 with some sound advice from members and was 'chuffed' to bits in winning five Federation prizes with these birds. Paul plans to break his novice status this year and believe me Joe everyone who knows Paul wish him every success in achieving this goal and we wish him the best of luck for 2009 till next time all the best
    Willie’. My thanks to Willie for joining the young bird exchange I have over 20 names with fanciers sending in their details on a daily basis, if you are interested then you still have time as it open till the 1st April when I will make the draw.

Kingslea One Loft Race

News of the above loft from Ian McKay who wrote ‘Hi Joe thanks to your support by highlighting this race last year and you recent report on my talk to school children at the University in Aberdeen regarding the Darwin 200 year project. The Aberdeen journals were there to photograph the event but failed to print any pictures of the children at the event which was disappointing. Marlene sent out some photographs which I had taken, Paul Thomson then posted these on Pigeon Basics a thank you to Marlene. I was disappointed with the Aberdeen journals for not publicising the event and my disappointment at only being able to give one bird into the charity syndicate to the kids. This sparked off the generosity of the pigeon men who proceeded to donate £10 for the kids so each school could have a bird. All this started on Saturday and by Sunday they had donated £220 for the cause. On speaking to Davy Pirie last night he has donated the last £20 this means the four schools will each be given a fully paid up pigeon in the race. The University runs a bus that goes round all the local schools so I have gifted them a bird also we again have the added bonus of a pigeon from the Royal Lofts for the charity syndicate raffle. Below I have attached the charity syndicate. Kingslea One Loft Race where there is a guaranteed prize fund of £2400 for charities. Here are some of the charities that have been donated a fully paid up bird for the race.
    • Irvine Buchan: Alzheimer’s Research
    • Mavrick: C.H.A.S
    • Andrew Gooch: Children’s Cancer Unit
    • Alex Wight: Pigeonbasics Arson Fund
    • Kevin & Elsie: Grampian Society for the Blind
    • Derek & Linda Hay: Daldorch House (Autistic children) Ayrshire
    • Harry Maidment: Meningitis Research Foundation
    • Gareth Rankin: Robert Owen School (Autistic unit) Lanark
    • Steve Taylor: Phoebe Fund
    • Robbie Higgins: Westfield School Fraserburgh
    • Davy White: Muscular Dystrophy
    • Ian & Maggie Ellis: Foveran School By Ellon
    • Joe Benzie: Cruelty to Animals (Scotland)
    • Natural History Museum (Aberdeen) School Bus
    • Walter Ritchie: The Oaks (Elgin)
    • Jim & Wendy Coutts: Down's Syndrome (Ellon)
    • Dr Jim Cosgrove: Dementia Research
    • Jane Norris: GIFTS Cancer Unit Grantham
    • David Gilbert: MacMillan Nurses Grantham
    • G G Sinclair: Cash for Kids (Northsound)
    • Pigeon Basics Members: St Peters Primary Aberdeen
    • Pigeon Basics Members: Kittybrewster Primary Aberdeen
    • Pigeon Basics Members: Riverbank Primary Aberdeen
    • Pigeon Basics Members: Woodside Primary Aberdeen
    • Men in Black: TBA local school
    • Alan Richie: TBA
    • Ann Newman: Clan House Aberdeen
    • John Norris: Clan House Aberdeen
    • Richard & Gemma: TBA
    • Guy Stryker: USA.TBA
    • Guy Srtyker: USA. TBA
    • Guy Stryker: USA. TBA
    • Roland: TBA
    • Herbert & Ingrid Mackenzie: Clan House Aberdeen
    • Billy Brown: Clan House Aberdeen
    • Kenny Gifford: Clan House Aberdeen
    • Morag Noble: Clan House Aberdeen
    • Ritchie & Whyte: TBA
    • Mickey Betts: Clan House Aberdeen
    • John Purcell TBA
    Cheers Joe and if anyone wishes to keep in contact with the one loft race then they can log onto http://www.kingslea1loftrace.co.uk/ yours Ian’, glad to see so many fanciers supporting these charities; this is the calibre of pigeon fanciers we have and well done to each and every one of them.

Black Country Spring Fayre

Will be held on Sunday 15th March from 10:00am till 5:00pm; the new venue is at t
    Tipton Sports Academy Gymnasium and Social club Wednesbury Oak Rd, Tipton, West Midlands, DY4 0BS; Come and enjoy a great day out all the usual trade stands will be in attendance, Plus fancy pigeon show, Wolverhampton Tumbler society, Cage Bird Exhibition plus many Confirmed stands selling young birds from the U.K. and Europe, plus the 4th Auction of The Teurlings Gold Ring Classic.
    Plus the talk show we’ve all been waiting for, the unorthodox, And Outrageous
    “Dredmeister” Steve Pollet of the Petheridge & Pollet partnership from Millton Keynes from 11:00am till the start of the young bird auction don’t miss a great day out, keep your day free, Tipton sports is the place to be!!
    Trade stand holders who wish to book a tables at £30 per table can contact Heart of England Auctions 07957 928768 Black Country Grains 01902 495506 or 01902408044, my thanks to Mark Evans for this information

Obituary

I received a phone call from Peter Thomson from London who has lived down there for the past 50 years; Peter was very upset as he had just been informed that his life long ‘pal’ Sammy Rogers had passed away that morning. Peter asked me to include a piece on Sammy in my column but he could not talk to me as it was so hard for him. I then contacted Donald Simpson from Larkhall who was a good friend of Sammy’s and Donald forwarded the following to me. It is with great sadness and deep regret I have to inform the fancy of the passing of BIG SAMMY who died at Wishaw General Hospital on Sunday 22nd February. Sammy was a member of the Greenfield Club and flew with the Lanarkshire Federation, and had some good results in the Scottish National Flying Club. There are numerous ways to describe The Big Man; he was a very likable and generous character. If someone was starting in the pigeon racing sport he would welcome them into his loft and let them have their pick he would also donate fabulous top prizes at the many functions which he attended. Sammy was a devoted husband to Sadie a wonderful father to his two children Anne Marie and Sammy and a loving Papa to Jacquie, Nickie, Sam and Wee Serena believe me Sammy’s family was his world. Sammy will be sorely missed none more so than by his family to whom we send our heartfelt condolences and to his many friends within the sport especially Peter Thomson Donald Simpson and club members.

This Week’s Joke

One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch
    But it was a long time ago, and it was just that ONE DAY.

Paul Lewis Cameron

The Joe Murphy Colunm PaulLouisCameron

Chequer Cock

The Joe Murphy Colunm ChequerCock2111

Chequer Hen

The Joe Murphy Colunm ChequerHen2115

Dark Cheqer Cock

The Joe Murphy Colunm DarkChecCock2110

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:00 am

The Joe Murphy Column

Kevin has just paired up his racers and I took up the first round from the stock pairs to him last week end; I’m very happy with these early bred youngsters and they look the part and with my new loft and large nest boxes I know that they are bred from the direct parents. As the pairs have never been out except for a bath and to tread together and no other birds are out while each pair had their freedom so I know these babies are exact from each pair. Trying this new experiment Kevin and I have had a few discussions over the past few months and as an added piece of amusement we have ‘bet’ each other a slap up dinner for whoever breeds the first SNFC diploma winner from our batch of 2009 youngsters. Kevin (being like his mother) extended the ‘bet’ to this year and we have selected 3 yearlings; and 3 two year olds to compete in the 2009 nationals and the best placed bred pigeon wins this years ‘bet’; with the same conditions as with the young birds bred this year. He laughed and said, ‘I can taste the steak just now’ licking his lips, good patter and I know that I will win just a pity I was not racing them myself. While on about our birds Kevin obtained a new microscope for his Christmas and we set it up onto his lap top and took pictures of our stock and race bird’s eyes and throats. It is not until you see them on the lap top or on my own computer screen that you see how impressive they really are. I have included a few just to let you see what I mean; 2 are from children of our SNFC winner Mystical Rose; 4878 is a direct daughter; 8888 is a direct son; 10015 is a daughter of 4878; and 13319 is also a direct son of 4878 we have grand children from Mystical Rose in the race team; however I have to admit that the children direct from 4878 and 8888 are now kept for stock, we were luck in to have one direct from 8888 last year at 12 years old; however this bird is very inbred that he will be kept for future stock purposes and hopefully continue with Mystical Rose line for a long time to come.

The Joe Murphy Colunm 88882

The Joe Murphy Colunm 48782

The Joe Murphy Colunm 133192

The Joe Murphy Colunm 100152

One Loft Challenges

Received a couple of emails over the past few days one from Lou McGee from Barcelona challenge who wrote ‘Just a brief update, we paired up the yearlings last Friday afternoon, we gave them Colustrum on their food on Friday and Saturday which you know we get fresh from our lovely neighbours Gelles and Lucienne, when we get it it's still warm!!!, On Sunday they had clean water, Monday and Tuesday they had Impact from Gem Supplements in their water, on Wednesday they again had clean water Thursday& Friday and Saturday they had(having) Gemthepax and Whey Protein Powder which John mixes together in a cup into a paste then mixes onto the corn. We have 70 pairs of yearlings paired and building nests, so the auction of young will be about 3 weeks after the 2 year old youngsters have been auctioned which will be around the end of March. We will continue to use the Gemthepax and Whey Protein powder till the youngsters have been weaned if anyone has any questions don’t hesitate to call us or e-mail us and we will call you back, as ever take care Lou’ thought there are some good tips for fanciers in this report so if you wish to know more contact John online.
    North Coast Classic race news from Trevor Steel who wrote, ‘Hi Joe hope you are well, I had the week off work to get things finished on the loft and I wish I'd stayed at work! I have pains and aches in places I didn't even know I had. The good news is the first birds (19) arrived yesterday and they spent the day tripping in and out of the aviary. They look really well in the loft and we expect more this weekend. Have 3 from your countryman Willie Hay at first when I saw the rings and thought they were strays, honestly, they look really well, and one of them, a chequer has that look about it, you know what I mean Joe. I took some pictures in fading light this evening, so will send you better ones when I have time. We are now looking forward to a couple of days rest before we have to get stuck into the cosmetic work round the loft. Knowing Sean, I will arrive tomorrow and the first thing he will give me is a bloody SHOVEL, all the best for now yours Trevor’. You can view the update on the progress of both these one loft races on www.pigeonportal.com by clicking onto their links.

2010 Charity syndicate for schools

Ian McKay is trying to arrange a 40 bird syndicate for 40 schools to have a fully paid up pigeon in the Kingslea 1 Loft Race see
    http://www.kingslea1loftrace.co.uk/ for the link up; this race will have been run for two years and all problems have been ironed out with rules in place to secure the payout. The object of this is to have the race in front of 40 schools so they can watch their bird’s progress through the 8 races and have the chance to win a total of £2,400.The schools will be through out the UK. I feel this is a new approach to promote pigeon racing to the children through computers which they all have access to in schools and homes. This project means I have to raise £2,400 from pigeons donated and sold. I and my other helpers are confident this target can be achieved.
    Should you be in a position to help please contact me? I am looking for top class pigeons to sell by auction if you have a friend in this category why not explain what I am doing and ask for a bird or ask them to contact me. Ian McKay “Kingslea” Kingswells Aberdeen AB15 8SL Ph 01224 741028 or email ian.mckay@btinternet.com

Dunfermline RPC

Another email this time from Walker Kennedy who did a great job as press officer for the Crossgates club in 2008 he wrote ‘Hi Joe just a short note to let know it was Dunfermline club’s annual general meeting on Wednesday past. The president is Gordon Turnbull; vice president is Alex Bryce and secretary treasurer is the ever faithful Eric Reid who does a very good job for the club. The press officer is Walker Kennedy and let’s hope I can do the members justice as I enjoy doing the reports and sending them to you. The club accepted 6 new members with five from Oakley and me and it looks like it going to be good club to fly in. I wish all the members within Dunfermline RPC well and hope they have a good season. When you think of it Joe we had an 11 year old youngster join the club and Eric Reid’s dad who flies in partnership with Eric is 93 years of age and I would think he must be the oldest member in the Fife federation; you must say this is not to bad a double one of the youngest members in the federation and the oldest, hope this finds you well yours Walker’ my thanks to Walker for the news and when you think of Alex Wight’s report last week on Lochgelly more and more clubs are amalgamating which makes sense in the present climate.

Young Bird Exchange

Received this email from Stuart Maskame who wrote ‘Hi Joe, count us in again for your young bird exchange this year; can you also add Harry Hailwood from our club as he also wishes to take part. Other fanciers are interested and I will collect their money and forward to you shortly. Delighted to hear that you are back where you belong as PRO of the SNFC, which is great news for ALL the SNFC members and keep up the good work yours Stuart’, my thanks to Stuart for his kind words and I look forward to having as many fanciers taking part in the young bird exchange as possible. I received a very nice letter and remittance from George Appleton from Denton in Manchester who wrote ‘I would be obliged if you would accept my application to join your young bird exchange. I have enclosed the cheque for the £25 in anticipation of being accepted. May I say how much I enjoy your writings and admire your efforts on behalf of the Scottish fancy; keep up the good work and hope that you and Kevin have a good 2009 season yours George’ my thanks to George for his lovely letter and it is nice to be thought of like this better than some of the remarks made on web pages. If you are interested in joining the young bird exchange then send me an email or letter with your details, address, post code and phone number as well as the £25 entry, the names will be drawn out of a hat on the 1st of April which is not long so if you wish to join NOW is the time.

Letham Friendly Open Race

George Briggs informed me that the 2009 yearling race from Wakefield will be held on the 20th of May, race marking at Letham hotel on the 19th May between 6.30 and 8pm entry fee is £5.00 per bird. The 2009 Gold ring race from Hexham will be held on the 12th of August, with race marking at Letham hotel on the 11th between 6.30pm & 8pm. Entries for this race are £5.00 per bird, with the closing date for entries the 1st of May all entries and enquiries to Dave Glen on 01307 467013.

Ayrshire Fanciers

Received an email from Richie Thornhill who wrote ‘Hi Joe, hope you and your good lady are well, I remember phoning you last year regarding our club results, as we have a problem with our local paper in the lack of interest in publishing our weekly results. after speaking to you I phone the pigeon press and they were quite happy to print our results I then contacted all the club secretaries to see if they would be interested in supplying me with their results they all seemed to be quite interested but as time went by the only people that supplied me with results were Ardeer and the Clydecoast clubs. This meant that the reports were only published one or twice per year. If you are willing would it be possible for me to email you the results on a weekly basis to be added to your Joe Murphy Column. I am just back in the sport about three years and I feel that we Ayrshire flyers are missing out on publicity hoping you can help us out yours in sport Richie’ I have replied saying that I will accept these reports so look forward to hearing how the Ayrshire lads progress throughout the season.

New Scottish Federation

Received a letter from Graeme White of Dumbarton who informed me of the following; ‘Hi Joe, please find enclosed details of the new West Strathclyde federation whose boundary stretches from Arrocher in the west right through to Glasgow Gross, taking in the beautiful Bonny Banks of Loch Lomond on one side and the spectacular Cove Peninsula on the other. Covering the areas of Dunoon; Helensburgh; Balloch; Greenock; Dumbarton and Renfrewshire; at the moment the federation consists of 4 clubs Argyle & Bute; Greenock; Kilbarchan and Dumbarton. The membership stands at around 40 members with 31 flying lofts.
    The new federation has only been going 7 days and already the number of esquire’s and phone calls has been nothing short of amazing. The federation subscription have been set at £5.00 per member; there is a race fee of £65.00 (unlimited birdage) the old bird programme is as follows; 18th April Arniston; 25th April Kelso; 2nd May Otterburn; 9th May Tow Law; 16th May Ripon; 23rd May Doncaster (this is an open race £1.00 per bird, optional 75% back in prize money) plus pools. 30th May Leicester; 6th June Newbury with the SNFC; 13th June comeback race from Ripon; 20th June Eastbourne with the SNFC; There will be a minimum of 4 training tosses starting on the 4th April.
    The young bird programme starts on 11th July Arniston; 18th July Arniston; 25th July Kelso; 1st August Otterburn; 8th August Tow Law; 15th August Ripon; 22nd August Wetherby; 29th Doncaster which then leaves a short break before the young bird national if members wish to send to Leicester SNFC.
    The aim of the new federation was to create an organisation of like minded people to race and show pigeons and to treat fellow members with civility and respect. Young fanciers have the privilege of FREE MEMBERSHIP; up to the age of 16 years or longer if they remain in some sort of education.
    A young bird sale will be arranged sometime within the next couple of months and the federation committee would like to thank the partnership of John & John Hood from Milton of Campsie and Derek & Linda Hay of Kirkintilloch for offering the first 2 squeakers for this sale. We have not even begun to organise the sale and these quality fanciers have donated birds which is Brilliant. Keep up the good work Joe and thanks for the space in your column to highlight this new federation, yours Graeme White secretary of the West Strathclyde federation’. My thanks to Graeme for his news and comments; may I wish this new federation all the best for the 2009 season.

This week’s Joke

A girl asks her boyfriend to come over Friday night to meet, and have a dinner with her parents. Since this is such a big event, the girl announces to her boyfriend that after dinner, she would like to go out and make love for the first time.
    The boy is ecstatic, but he has never had sex before, so he takes a trip to the pharmacist to get some condoms. He tells the pharmacist it's his
    first time and the pharmacist helps the boy for about an hour. He tells the boy everything there is to know about condoms and sex. At the register, the
    pharmacist asks the boy how many condoms he'd like to buy, a 3-pack, 10-pack, or family pack. The boy insists on the family pack because he thinks he will be rather busy, it being his first time and all.
    That night, the boy shows up at the girl's parent’s house and meets his girlfriend at the door. 'Oh, I'm so excited for you to meet my parents, come on in!' The boy goes inside and is taken to the dinner table where the girl's parents are seated. The boy quickly offers to say grace and bows his head. A minute passes, and the boy is still deep in prayer, with his head down. 10 minutes pass, and still no movement from the boy. Finally, after 20 minutes with his head down, the girlfriend leans over and whispers to the boyfriend, 'I had no idea you were this religious.'
    The boy turns, and whispers back, 'I had no idea your father was a pharmacist.'

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:57 am