Pigeonbasics.net Pigeon basics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
lenwadebob
Tumley Lofts Stud
administrator
7 posters

List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet

List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet Empty List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet

Post by Guest Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Chickadee has one of the most stocked medicine and supplements in her collection, some she uses all the time and some will never be used I hope

What does other members keep and what would you say were the essentials :)
    administrator
    administrator
    Global moderators
    Global moderators

Male
    Number of posts : 420
    Registration date : 2008-12-24

List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet Empty Re: List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet

Post by administrator Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:55 pm

DAVEScot wrote:Chickadee has one of the most stocked medicine and supplements in her collection, some she uses all the time and some will never be used I hope

What does other members keep and what would you say were the essentials :)
    i would say two things metronidazole and some of the amoxicillin the kids get
    Tumley Lofts Stud

Male
    Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2009-02-03

List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet Empty Re: List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet

Post by Tumley Lofts Stud Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:16 pm

No medicine are kept here the best medicine is the bin! All we do is put cod liver oil, linseed oil and lemon juice + brewers yeast on the food (no at the same time!) and Avifroim 7 in 1 in the water twice a week. If a bird goes down it gets 2 days to recover (isolated) otherwise binned. Can't remember the last time we killed an ill pigeon!
    lenwadebob
    lenwadebob
    old bird
    old bird

Male
    Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2008-12-28

Post by lenwadebob Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Tumley Lofts Stud wrote:No medicine are kept here the best medicine is the bin! All we do is put cod liver oil, linseed oil and lemon juice + brewers yeast on the food (no at the same time!) and Avifroim 7 in 1 in the water twice a week. If a bird goes down it gets 2 days to recover (isolated) otherwise binned. Can't remember the last time we killed an ill pigeon!

Are you prepared to say how and when you use these products please, as I am not a great believer in anti's etc Thank you
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Number of posts : 1952

Post by maid08 Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:26 pm

none at all doc gives me what i need?????????if i need it

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Tumley Lofts Stud wrote:No medicine are kept here the best medicine is the bin! All we do is put cod liver oil, linseed oil and lemon juice + brewers yeast on the food (no at the same time!) and Avifroim 7 in 1 in the water twice a week. If a bird goes down it gets 2 days to recover (isolated) otherwise binned. Can't remember the last time we killed an ill pigeon!

I think that comes with experience, in the beginning we spent a fortune on remedies and vet bills. Although we have a huge range of bird products and supplements we very rarely use them for List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet 772647 birds as you say we don't get many either
    Birds whether they are pets, show birds, or racers they all need looking after and kept in good health. We are starting racing this year so the difference will be our birds will be mixing with others in the race baskets.
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Post by maid08 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:23 pm

yes dove but dont be fooled by bull peaple spout the problem lies in youer own birds if treated right after race i.e vit and rest only if not right when sent do they get infections from other birds in basket good birds dont get ill through stress
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Post by maid08 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:25 pm

8 year old cock every race from List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet 88752 never ill never back late even from dax international look after them properly then you are fine
    Tumley Lofts Stud

Male

Post by Tumley Lofts Stud Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:37 pm

lenwadebob, I will be putting our feeding and water regime on our website soon as I thought this maybe of interest to people. Simplicity is the best.
    Same here "Dot Head" winner of 14x1sts always in the basket never treated for anything bred 1997 still here now. As I've said before to many people the very best pigeons in our experience NEVER get ill
    lenwadebob
    lenwadebob
    old bird
    old bird

Male

Post by lenwadebob Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Tumley Lofts Stud wrote:lenwadebob, I will be putting our feeding and water regime on our website soon as I thought this maybe of interest to people. Simplicity is the best.
    Same here "Dot Head" winner of 14x1sts always in the basket never treated for anything bred 1997 still here now. As I've said before to many people the very best pigeons in our experience NEVER get ill

pm me please when its up with link to your website Thumbs up
    Tumley Lofts Stud

Male

Post by Tumley Lofts Stud Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:43 pm

will do Thumbs up
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Post by maid08 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:53 pm

that is best common snse i have heard good birds are just that bad birds are just that getting the good ones is not easy.. to many peaple listen to dull flyers that pump them full kite its no wonder so many get ill they cant live unless full junk
    lenwadebob
    lenwadebob
    old bird
    old bird

Male

Post by lenwadebob Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:09 pm

Never have been one for filling birds full of kite unless ill. A I can't afford too and B can't see the point in treating what ain't there.
    Tumley Lofts Stud

Male

Post by Tumley Lofts Stud Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:20 pm

don't get me wrong, we used to be hooked on medicines in the 1980's but stopped and lost a lot of good birds. We haven't looked back it was one of our better decisions
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Post by maid08 Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 pm

i think to many fanciers get suckered into the birds need this that when its the fancyers that need things brains in some cases mate of mine has more crap than water in his drinkers day after day
    chickadiesel
    chickadiesel
    old bird
    old bird

Female
    Number of posts : 532
    Registration date : 2008-12-25

Post by chickadiesel Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Ours get the good old cider vinegar or garlic in their water most days, the rest of the week it's just pure water

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Anyone that visits our lofts or gets birds from us are really happy with their condition, our dove cote birds are an example of the healthiest as they get nowt apart from the paramyxo vaccination which all our birds get, another reason it is survival of the fittest in the cotes
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Post by maid08 Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:45 pm

garlic and garlic and elderberry is all these get

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:21 pm

Worms and canker treatment is a must. worms twice a year canker once a month when racing. we also treat all old birds and YB's for respretory infection soon after breeding is finished for the old birds and approx a month after for YB's regardless of if there is any evidence of such a condition or not! We use either Tylan, Aeuromycine or Lincospectin100 for this but never use the same product twice on the trot. Also we treat the old birds for 10 days with Parastop prior to pairing up and the YB's will also get 7 days treatment with this when they are all self feeding properly but this will be done after 7 days of canker treatment and 7 days clear water. Not even suffered from YB sickness using this product so am a believer it has some effect as the problem has been rife before now in this area yet never came to our loft.
    sapper756
    sapper756
    hatchling

Male
    Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-12-29

Post by sapper756 Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:32 pm

When I first started back in 1994 I too soon had a cupboard filled with all the medicines and go faster solutions you can imagine, only experience and learning from my own mistakes, that now all I give my birds is cider vinegar and garlic in the water, and lemon juice with brewers yeast on the corn, although I must admit, I am considering giving Johnsons tonic this year, birds need to build up their own immune systems, and as said before, a bird that is List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet 772647, very rarely makes a good racing bird. IMO Thumbs up

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:04 pm

sapper756 wrote:When I first started back in 1994 I too soon had a cupboard filled with all the medicines and go faster solutions you can imagine, only experience and learning from my own mistakes, that now all I give my birds is cider vinegar and garlic in the water, and lemon juice with brewers yeast on the corn, although I must admit, I am considering giving Johnsons tonic this year, birds need to build up their own immune systems, and as said before, a bird that is List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet 772647, very rarely makes a good racing bird. IMO Thumbs up

Aye Sapper, it seems to be the norm till you find your own feet and try it for yourself

I like the signature

Everybody wants change, but nobody wants to change Thumbs up
    Tumley Lofts Stud

Male

Post by Tumley Lofts Stud Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Here is a link "Feeding and Watering" to our feeding and watering regime, nothing else is give to the birds other than what you see here. We feed Gem breeding and add chicken layers pellets to this for the breeding. Just the basic mixes to keep the cost down butthe birds seem to thrive on it anyway!

Sorry It's taken a while for me to put it up. I hope your breeding season is going well?

Cheers,
    James.
    maid08
    maid08
    old bird
    old bird

Post by maid08 Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:25 am

one thing you must have in bird cabinate is antidepresants for youerself cos this sport is getting very depressing so at least you can be happy :Very Funny: :Very Funny: :sulk: List of essential medicines and supplements in your cabinet 537469 :doctor: :who cares:
    Freebird
    old bird
    old bird

Male
    Number of posts : 166
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

Post by Freebird Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 am

Tumley Lofts Stud wrote:Here is a link "Feeding and Watering" to our feeding and watering regime, nothing else is give to the birds other than what you see here. We feed Gem breeding and add chicken layers pellets to this for the breeding. Just the basic mixes to keep the cost down butthe birds seem to thrive on it anyway!

Sorry It's taken a while for me to put it up. I hope your breeding season is going well?

Cheers,
    James.
    Hi James and thanks for sharing this info. How do you apply the garlic, parsley etc. to the food. Thanks.
    Tumley Lofts Stud

Male

Post by Tumley Lofts Stud Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi James and thanks for sharing this info. How do you apply the garlic, parsley etc. to the food. Thanks.

We buy this in a 1L bottle which has a dispenser on the top. We give 3 squirts to a full bucket of food, basically enough to cover the food without any sloshing around.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:19 am