Pigeonbasics.net Pigeon basics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've found a racing pigeon... What should I do ?

I've found a racing pigeon... What should I do ? Empty I've found a racing pigeon... What should I do ?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:43 pm

I've found a racing pigeon... What should I do ?
    Racing pigeons can sometimes become ‘lost’ or disorientated.
    They may come down to find food and water or to rest before continuing
    on their way.

In a nutshell
    If you find a tired racing pigeon
    • please give water and food for a day or 2 at the most
    • only contain it if the pigeon is injured or at risk from a predator
    • try to release it after a day or two
    • only report it if it will not clear and it is contained

*IMPORTANT
    If you find a pigeon that has GB, NEHU, SU, WHU, NWHU or IHU etc on the ring, please post the ring number on here and we will do our best to re home it

Please DO NOT report birds that are NOT contained; the majority will clear of their own accord. It is not unusual for a pigeon to stay around for a number of days before it continues its journey.

The foods stuff can be, rice, lentils, dried peas,or a dried broth mix, a few day on that and it should be OK to release

GB Royal Racing Pigeon Association
    The Reddings, Nr. Cheltenham,
    Gloucestershire.
    DL51 6RN
    Tel: 01452 713529
    Online: http://www.rpra.org/Default.aspx?tabid=100

NEHU North of England Homing Union
    58, Ennerdale Road, Walker Dene,
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
    NE6 4DG
    Tel: 0191 262 5440
    Online: Email: lostbirds@nehu.co.uk

NWHU North West Homing Union
    279, Mossy Lea Rd, Wrightington,
    Nr. Wigan. WN6 9RN
    Tel: 01257 421271
    Online: Email: nwhu@blueyonder.co.uk

SU Scottish Homing Union
    231A, Low Waters Road, Hamilton,
    Lanarkshire.
    ML3 7QN
    Tel: 01698 286983
    Online: http://www.shuonline.co.uk/strays/strays.htm

WHU Welsh Homing Pigeon Union
    Old Timothy's Yard,
    Llanfoist Street, Ton Pentre, Rhondda.
    CF41 7EE
    Tel: 01443 441010
    email: gail@whpu.org.uk

IHU Irish Homing Union
    38, Ballynhatty Road,
    Belfast.
    BT8 8LE
    Tel: 028 9064 4231

Please Note: Serial Letter 'N' rings report to:
    Mr J Hughes,
    44, Ashbourn Park,
    Lambeg, Lisburn.
    BT27 4NS

Serial Letter 'S' rings report to:
    S. Lehane,
    69, Lorcan Crescent,
    Santry, Dublin 9.

NPA National Pigeon Association
    Graham Giddings
    10 Belton Road
    Sidcup
    Kent
    DA14 4AB
    Tel: 0208 300 6782

BELGE Royale Federation Colombophile Belge (Belgium),
    39, Rue de Livourne,
    Ixelles,
    Brussels, Belgium.
    Tel: 010 32 2537 4134
    Online: Email: national@rfcb.be

FR Federation Nationale Des Societies Colombophile de France (France),
    54, Boulevard Carnot,
    59042 Lille,
    Cedex, France.
    Tel: 010 33 20 068187
    Online: http://www.colombophiliefr.com/Egares/Egares-e.htm
    email: lost@colombophiliefr.com

DDR Nationale Sporttauvenzuchter Vereingung in der Deutschen (Germany),
    Demokratischen Rebublik Federation Colombophile Nationale,
    1071 Berlin,
    Wicherstrasse 10,
    Germany.

DV Verband Deutscher Brieftaubenliebhaber E.V. Essen (Germany),
    Schonleinstrsse, 43,
    PO BOX 1792,
    West Germany.

HOLL/NL Bureau NPO Landjuweel 38 (Holland),
    3905 PH Veenedaal,
    Holland.
    Tel: 00 31 318 514583
    Email: bureau@npo.nl

Last edited by DOVEScot on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:16 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added another comment from admin)

I've found a racing pigeon... What should I do ? Empty Re: I've found a racing pigeon... What should I do ?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:04 am

Here are some basic needs for a healthy pigeon temporarily in your care:

Water:
    1. Fresh water (change it twice a day or more if it gets dirty quickly, this is especially for birds in a cage)
    The water must be 1.5 inches deep min. so the pigeon can drink properly, pigeons suck the water up unlike other birds so it must be deep enough to be able to do so.
    *Using a heavy dish in the cage is a good tip to remember since pigeons are famous for spilling their dishes. Same goes for the food but most importantly the water.

Feed:
    A pigeon or dove seed mix is most preferable but if not available then wild bird seed with a wider variety of seed like milo, millet, wheat, corn, black oil sunflower seeds..etc would be suitable. Other seeds/grains or legumes can be added to the wild bird seed mix like: dry whole lentils, pearl barley, unpopped pop corn, sesame seeds, flax seed, dry rolled oats, split peas and the like since pigeon prefer this and it also keeps them full longer.

Snacks and fattening seeds:
    For pigeons who are a bit underweight, adding more fatty/oily seeds to the mix is a good idea to quickly fatten them up.
    Here are some suggestions: Raw peanuts (NOT roasted or salted), black oil sunflower seeds, shelled sunflower seeds (raw and without salt), hemp seed, safflower, whole corn, flax seed..etc.
    Adding a drop of corn, sunflower or peanut oils (not canola or vegetable) to the seed mix to coat will also add some fat into the diet.

Grit:
    Grit is not necessary and pigeons can go without as I found in my experiences but they do enjoy it and it aids in the digestion of seed. It also offers a good source of calcium and minerals.
    Pigeon grit is called "red grit" or "red cross grit" and is not the fine black and white sand like grit that is for canaries and other little birds.
    A local pigeon fancier or pigeon person could probably supply you with some grit as it is usually sold in large bags at the feed stores (40-50 lb)

Here is a link with a picture of the pigeon grit:
    http://www.a1grit.com/pigeon.htm

Supplements:
    If the pigeon is out of direct sunlight then he will be unable to produce Vitamin D 3 so a supplement which contains vitamin D3 will be necessary. (Prime by Hagens is a good product and is found at petsmart)
    -A probiotic powder (the human type is fine from a health food store) in the water or on the feed will increase the good gut flora in the system and keep the pigeon in top condition.
    -A drop of ACV (Apple Cider vinegar) can be put in the fresh I've found a racing pigeon... What should I do ? 533871 water once a week (dose: 1 tbsp/gallon of water) to prevent cocci, canker and sour crop/candida from developing.

Temporary Pigeon housing:
    A pet carrier is a good place to house the pigeon temporarily, the bigger the better of course. A rabbit cage or the like are also good ideas for temporary housing.
    Line the bottom of the cage/carrier with newspaper or flyers then some paper towel on top.
    Changing the paper twice a day or so is best to keep the pigeon clean and prevent him from stepping in his droppings

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:39 am